Commitment to Net Zero
At the 2019 UN Climate Change Conference, Badger joined over 500 fellow B Corps in publicly committing to reach Net Zero Carbon emissions by the year 2030, a full 20 years ahead of the 2050 goals set by the Paris Agreement.
Badger Goes Solar
Our Environmental Roots
Caring for our environment is a core guiding principle at Badger, and striving to create a ‘healthier world’ is part of our mission. We make healing products from organic ingredients and constantly work to improve our environmental practices. Being a B Corp helps us to measure our impact on the environment and we are proud to have won their ‘Best for the World: Environment’ award each of the past 5 years.More about our Environmental Advocacy
Sustainability at Badger HQ
Our vision is to create a business that will be around for generations to come. With this in mind, we built our facility to withstand the test of time.
• Our custom-built facility was designed by Badger Bill, founder and carpenter, and meets high standards for sustainability, including LEED Silver specifications.
• Built using traditional post and beam construction finished with local pine.
• Super insulated with natural dense packed cellulose to ensure energy efficiency and finished with natural poly-whey and leftover Badger balm (Yes! Badger can be used as wood finish!)
• Filled with skylights, windows, and plants to promote the health and wellness of our employees
• Come visit us some day!
We believe in supporting a healthy and biodiverse environment, starting with the woods and gardens of our very own Badger HQ.
• We built our manufacturing facility on the barren lands of an old sand mine in our home town of Gilsum, NH. We've focused on revitalizing our land and bringing back the plants and animals that were lost through mining.
• Today, the Badger grounds are home to organic gardens, an edible fruit forest, wild flower fields, and bee hives surrounded by forested land.
• In 2018, Badger became a regenerative hub for the new England region. We worked with local college students and the regenerative community to help transform our soil in a way that would support healthy carbon sequestration, water retention, and biodiversity.
Badge HQ is entirely powered by the sun!
• In July 2020, as part of our ongoing commitment to reach net zero carbon emissions by 2030, Badger partnered with fellow B Corp Revision Energy to install full ground and roof solar array.
• Our land and buildings are now adorned with a 1,445-panel (524-kilowatt) roof- and ground-mounted solar array, one of the largest in the region.
Water is a precious commodity and is often used as a solvent or filler in personal care products and as a key part of the manufacturing process.
• We strive to reduce our water consumption through manufacturing waterless products. Waterless products are super concentrated and can be processed, warehoused, and shipped using less energy due to their compact size.
• Most of our products can be manufactured without the use of water for cleaning or processing. We use organic olive oil and organic grain alcohol as our primary cleaning agent.
• When we do use water, we use a simple natural cleaning solvent that is not harmful to the environment so that the water used in our production can flow back into the earth without harming our environment.
We are on journey towards Zero Waste. We recognize that our planet is a closed system with finite resources and we are committed to using our resources wisely. Towards this end, we implemented our Save Every Drop initiative in an effort to find creative and innovative ways to turn our waste into something valuable. Today Badger has a 97% diversion rate for our manufacturing facility.
• The organic olive oil we clean our machinery with is now being repurposed into our Citronella Candle.
• The waste created from cleaning our sunscreen equipment is now brought to an industrial composting facility to be turned into rich soil.
• The scraps from our organic employee lunch program is composted on our grounds during the summer and fed to local pigs during the winter.
Some of our Zero-Waste & Low Plastic Products
Coral Reef Conservation
As a sunscreen manufacturer, we recognize the responsibility that we hold to help protect our coral reefs and delicate marine ecosystems. We have been making reef safe sunscreens since 2005 and we now have one of the first Protect Land + Sea certified sunscreens. Badger sunscreens DO NOT contain any ingredients or contaminants considered harmful to coral reef environments, sea turtles, and other aquatic life. In addition, we advocate for bans on coral harming sunscreen chemicals in places such as Hawaii, Key West, Palau, Aruba, and the US Virgin Islands.Learn More